Friday, July 30, 2010

Nando's Pizza

Name: Nando's
Location: 217 Harry L Dr., Johnson City, NY 13790
Phone: (607) 798-0439
Cuisine: Pizza/Subs
Price: Around $10 for a large pizza

Review:
Nando's represents yet another entry into the Johnson City pizza mix. It's located at the corner of Harry L Drive and Academy St. I believe there are three Nando's locations that are all related: this one in JC, one on North St. in Endwell/Endicott, and a third location on Conklin Ave. on the South Side. I am pretty sure at least the Endwell and Binghamton locations are related. This is the one I'm not sure about, but how common is the name "Nando" really?

This is yet another place I've driven by thousands of times over the years but I never bothered to stop in until yesterday. I placed an order for a large pizza (12 small slices) with half-sausage, half-cheese and opted to do take-out. The restaurant itself has probably seen better days. I would not recommend eating there, but there are some tables set up on their front porch if you choose to. All in all, I found the restaurant itself to be a little sketchy.

At any rate, I picked up the pizza (around $10) and headed home to give it a shot. What I found was some pretty decent pizza. This didn't blow me away or anything, but I definitely did like it. The sauce is the most unique aspect of this pizza. Instead of normal pizza sauce it reminded me much more of spaghetti sauce. It had nice flavor and tended to dominate each bite. So if you like saucy pizza, this is definitely a place you might want to check out. The cheese and sausage were nothing to write home about, and the New York style crust was ultra-thin but still sturdy enough to support the toppings, unlike some other slices I've had recently...

All in all, Nando's is not likely to become your favorite pizza place or anything, but I found what I had to be a solid pie and, due to location, one that I would consider getting again. For what it's worth, it tastes pretty good out of the fridge in the morning, too. I give this one a mild recommendation.

Grade: B-

Nando's Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. They say they will reopen on June 6th, it is now July 13th. Change your answering machine message...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails