Sunday, July 25, 2010

Park Diner

Name: Park Diner
Location: 119 Conklin Ave., Binghamton, NY 13903
Phone: (607) 722-9840
Cuisine: Diner
Price: $20 for two

Since we did not get to sample another area diner on Thursday, Dan and I decided to venture today to the Park Diner - one that I was excited about given its location. Although Binghamton has riverfront areas, it seems that few businesses make use of it. The Park Diner, located on the South Side, uses the Susquehanna to its distinct advantage allowing for really beautiful views of both the river and downtown Bingo. Thus, I was looking forward to the ambiance of the diner at the very least.

We made our way to the Park Diner around 11am this morning and were lucky to find a parking spot in the small lot adjacent to the diner. We were greeted immediately by the hostess and were able to choose between table or booth seating. We went with booth as we normally do. Although we were not sitting right by the floor to ceiling windows and although it was raining, I was still very pleased with the views that the diner offered. There is a dam located right near the diner, so you get to see a little waterfall effect along with scenic views of downtown.


The menu is not very big for a diner and only had one page of breakfast options. The usual egg and pancake fare was accounted for along with a steak and eggs special. I was disappointed that there were not more options or specials and also that the prices seemed a bit higher than most of the area diners - two eggs with home fries and toast for $5.95. I think the inflation of price has to do with the slightly higher class atmosphere that the Park Diner is trying to offer. For instance, the wait staff is dressed in button down white shirts, slacks, and pink ties. All the plates and cups were very nice looking (no chips) and matched. So in that respect, it is a more upscale diner experience.

Dan and I both went with cheese omelets - his was feta, mine was american - with wheat toast and home fries and of course our requisite coffees. All of our food came out fast - like five minutes from the time we ordered.

The presentation was very nice - the omelet was neat and well cooked. My toast was done the way I like it and the home fries were fine, but rather basic - I liked the ones at Danny's better. Nothing outstanding - nothing I could not have done myself at home. The coffee was good - I did like that it was more neatly presented than at some of the other diners where it had spilled into the saucer. All told, breakfast was good - but at a cost of $20 dollars with tax and tip, I felt that it was a bit pricey for the simple meals we got. Especially given that at Danny's, we got the same things and bacon and sausage for $10.

In sum, the Park Diner had the ambiance and the atmosphere that I hoped for. It was a pleasant dining experience, the service was swift and the food was good. However, I would have liked to see a more extensive breakfast menu, especially for a diner, and I do think it is a bit pricey for breakfast. I would probably go again for lunch - they had a larger selection and I am willing to pay a bit more for a nice lunch plate.

Grade: B-

Park Diner on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. next time get the greek omelet. it's outstanding!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails